One of the best things about cannabis in the modern era is that not only is it becoming destigmatized, but also that there is an increasing number of ways for people to consume it. From CBD oils and vape pens to dabbing devices and topical creams, cannabis and its constituents can be used in a huge range of different ways, and cannabutter is another great option you can prepare yourself at home.
What Is Cannabutter?
Before we look at how to make cannabutter, it’s important to understand what cannabutter actually is. Also known as marijuana butter, this product is basically just like regular butter but has been infused with cannabis. This makes it an excellent ingredient to use in all of your different baking recipes, for example when cooking cannabis brownies or cookies.
It’s also one of the most versatile ingredients you can use for cannabis cooking too. You can throw it in pies, cakes, pasta sauces, and more. The options of what to do with cannabis butter are almost endless, but it’s worth noting, first of all, that the preparation of this ingredient requires care and planning. Below, we’ll look at the tools you need and the steps to follow.
Gather A Few Tools & Ingredients
The first step of how to make marijuana butter is to make sure that you’ve got all the essential tools and ingredients ready to go. You may have some of these tools and ingredients already, or you might need to order them. Here’s what you need:
- Baking parchment
- A wooden spoon
- A grinder
- A saucepan
- A thermometer
- A mesh strainer
- Food-grade containers for storage
- Unsalted butter
- A 1/4 cup of water
- A gram of cannabis flower
Use High-Quality Cannabis
When it comes to making any kind of recipe, the golden rule to follow is to pay close attention to the quality of your ingredients. If you’re making a pasta sauce with cheap tomatoes, for example, it won’t taste as great as one made with the finest heirloom varieties.
The same applies when making marijuana butter too. For instance, if you use high-quality weed, you’ll get a better experience and flavor from the butter you make. If you’re into growing marijuana at home, you can use your own home supply or purchase from a dispensary.
Trim or shake, in which the leaves have been cut off the flowers post-harvest, are popular types of marijuana to use in this recipe, but others prefer using hash or kief. However, a good way to start is with some basic flower – the part of the plant that has been specially dried and cured, ready to be smoked.
Preheat Your Cannabis
After choosing some quality weed for your marijuana butter recipe, the next step is to heat it up. This is important because it helps to convert the cannabinoids present in the plant into more potent and effective forms, transforming THCA and CBDA into the cannabinoids we know and love as THC CBD. This process is known as decarboxylation. The best way to do this when preparing butter is to use your oven.
- Preheat to 245 degrees
- Break the flower into little pieces and spread them across some baking parchment on a pan
- Bake for up to 30 minutes, checking and mixing the pieces around every 10 minutes
- Remove the pan from the oven after the set time and let the flower cool
- Grind the flower pieces with a grinder
Infuse The Butter
Next, it’s infusion time. This is when you’ll actually place the flower in with the butter and let it start to work its magic. To do this:
- Add the weed and whatever amount of butter you want to make to a saucepan with 1/4 cup of water
- Use low heat to simmer the mixture for up to an hour, making sure the temperature goes no higher than 190 degrees
- Take the pan off the heat and strain the mix into a container, before sealing and placing it in the fridge
Cook With Your Cannabutter
Cannabis butter can last for about two weeks in the fridge before losing its potency, so you’ll want to use it pretty quickly. You can also freeze it, if desired, for about half a year. As stated earlier, there are many different recipes you can use this butter with. If you’re not sure how to make edibles, you can find many recipes online.
Basic Cannabutter Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 245
- Break your flower into pieces and let it cook for up to half-hour (more time leads to more potency)
- Let the pieces cool before grinding
- Melt the butter and mix in the ground flower, plus some water, and simmer over low heat for an hour
- Strain the mix into a jar or container
- Place in the fridge and wait for it to cool
Tips for Dosing Cannabutter
- As stated earlier, quality of cannabis matters – higher-quality flower might be more potent, so won’t need to be cooked as long
- Different strains like Indica and Sativa can have different effects too
- Experiment with different types of flower and different heating durations to see what works best for you
- Cook for less time to have a calmer and gentler high